Thursday, January 7, 2010

Me + Curtis



MY LIFE IS LIKE A SONG BY CURTIS MAYFIELD

Not being able to stay up late with the older folks
Being around the teenagers that smoke
Not being able to let go of the grown men that I once loved
Being called “Jolly Green Giant” and shoved
Not being able to drive home, WALKING, soaking wet and sniffling with the FLU
Being underestimated when the rent was due
Not being able to see joy in my niece’s hopeless eyes
Being around to see my loved ones and close friends die
Not being able to understand my cat’s pain
Being the only child out of seven that’s sane
Not being able to get out of an unsafe zone
Being mad when I’ve lost two teeth and broken a bone
Not being financially able to have eggs or bread
Being able to hold a gun to my head
Not being the loose woman that is manipulated on tv
Being able to be the intelligent person that I was born to be

No comments:

Post a Comment